In old scifi movies, idiot explorers would frequently take their helmets off, having no idea what alien germs might do to them.

If aliens made scifi movies about landing on Earth, what mistakes would they make?

Gas creature heroes fogging about when our atmosphere would shred them? Ice world creatures in snowball explorer suits? Linguist aliens just... signing up for social media accounts?


If they come from an entirely dry or entirely ocean world, they might look at our 80% ocean world and decide they could safely ignore the other 20%.

If they came from an anaerobic world, they might be surprised at how corrosive an oxygen atmosphere is.

If their species has collective intelligence or something similar, they'll be very surprised with our social structure of competing groups built of smaller competing groups.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!