Have you ever shortened a pair of trousers? It takes a surprisingly large number of steps:
1. Measure the correct length and mark the trouser legs. You can use soap or chalk to draw a line, or put in a pin or baste a thread.
2. In some trousers the hem is fortified with a ribbon on the inside, so you have to unpick this first.
3. Then you can unpick the actual hem stitching.
4. Now you can cut off the redundant fabric, typically 2-3 cm below the mark you made.
5. To stop the cut edge from fraying, overcast it with a with a sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch.
6. At this point, it is best to fold the new hem along the marked line and iron it to get a well defined crease.
7. Now it’s time to put the ribbons back in place. First baste or pin them in the right position and then stitch them with a regular stitch with the sewing machine.
8. Then baste the hem to keep it in place, or just pin it.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!