Problems we are having with #Signal:
* It is and will remain centralized (clear strategy of *not* federating servers)
* It requires strong identifiers/selectors (phone#) to use
* Author disallows distribution by anyone but Google, although free/libre
* It keeps pushing away verification of fingerprint in interface
* It relies on Google+Amazon infrastructure
* Its funding is shady (OTF = Radio Free Asia = USG)
= clearly unethical choices, unjustifiable by accessibility or technological reasons.
software rant Show more
I'm helping someone with their master thesis (formatting 'n' style). It's written in Libre Office. Using word processor like this - it's fucking pain and suffering :C
Merveilles now has its own instance. Please get in touch with @somnius for more details, or visit:
music Show more
„Reach for the Stars” by NightRadio from Ether Winds -https://soundcloud.com/nightradio/reach-for-the-stars
This is probably my favorite piece by NR. It gives me chills every time. 💚 (rest of the album is great as well but this is a masterpiece!)
I used to think there is no point in learning modal text editor unless you work with highly structured text (programming, configs).
I changed my mind.
I usually use Kakoune (vim like editor). I have to edit some prose in Libre Office. I can't convert it to plain text, I have to keep formatting. I hate every second of this. Modal or bust!
"Microsoft is officially giving up on an independent shared platform for the internet. By adopting Chromium, Microsoft hands over control of even more of online life to Google. [..] If you care about what’s happening with online life today, take another look at Firefox. It’s radically better than it was 18 months ago — Firefox once again holds its own when it comes to speed and performance. "