Reminder for newcomers: Know about your instance!
Each instance should have an about page at /about/more (e.g. Octodon's is at: https://octodon.social/about/more )
You can usually learn who runs your instance (if you don't know already) AND, hey, they might have a way that you can support the costs of running the instance financially, like Patreon
Tips for MOVING from one Mastodon instance to another
In Settings, you can...
1. Export some of your data from your old account (if you want). This includes who you follow/block/mute. Note that you can't take your _followers_ with you, but they can definitely choose to follow your new account! (see 1st screenshot)
2. Set your old account to show that's it's Moved to another account (your new account) (see 2nd & 3rd screenshots)
3. Obviously: toot about your new account from your old account
4. Be sure to use a unique and strong password for each account you have!
One way to handle a lot of unique passwords is to use a password manager.
More on password managers: https://octodon.social/@schlink/99886638603771972
Mastodon feels even cozier if you turn on two-factor authentication
1. Download Google Authenticator or Authy on your smartphone
2. In Mastodon's web interface, go to Settings > Two-factor auth. Set it up!
3. Store your back-up codes somewhere safe. If you lose your phone, you'll need those codes to get into your account!
4. Two-factor the rest of your online accounts (if it's offered)! 🔐 ❤️
@schlink isn't 2fa still really broken?
@schlink The neat thing is, when you import your following list to a new account, all those people get an alert saying you followed them. Makes it really easy for people to notice you moved!