Lots of expressions in dictionary starting with もの!:
- 物は試し：① the proof of the pudding is in the eating/the proof is in the pudding/don't knock it till you've tried it
- ものは言いよう：① smooth words make smooth ways/it's not what you say, it's how you say it
- ものは相談：① a wise man is he who listens to counsel/a worry shared is a worry halved
- 物は使いよう：① things depend on how you use them/all things have their uses when they are used in the right way
- ものは考えよう：① things depend on how you look at them
As usual I'm in awe of those four-character phrases they have in Japanese and Chinese:
en jyaku kou koku
Piece-by-piece, this says "swallow sparrow goose swan", i.e., four birds, two little and two large.
"How can a small bird (a sparrow, a petty person) understand the aspirations of a great bird (a phoenix) / Only a hero can understand a hero." 🤯
Gloss for Rap Game Try Out:
Any corrections would be most gratefully appreciated—by me and my kids 😅.
御託「ごたく」：① tedious talk/impertinent talk/repetitious talk/saucy speech/pretentious statement
I mean… 🤔
Seizō is homophone with 聖像, "sacred image/icon" (and 西藏, Tibet), I could read a lot of mystic into this.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!