We (spouse+me) been doing #WaniKani (thanks friend 👋!), and we hate it but sticking to it through the annoyances of level 2 because it’s good and fun.
Anyway I don’t use their mnemonics for readings, instead I search for words I already know using the #kanji in question (or learn new words to do this). In no order:
- 立：リツ, I see in anime at the end of class they say something like “kiritsu (everyone stands) rei (everyone bows)” and yeah it’s 起立、礼
- 白：ハク I don’t have a good one for, so I learned 空白 (which iOS Japanese keyboard always shows)
- 左右：サユウ I memorized this as a word, killing two hard birds with one stone
- 了：リョウ via 了解 (ryoukai, “understood”) which you hear all the time
- 正：セイ trying to learn 公正 (kousei, “justice”)
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!